For our ECMP 355 class Google+ is the main page to collaborate all of the discussion, questions, or plans for the semester. How do you create a masterpiece like this? There is an easy step-by-step process created by Educational Technology and Mobile Learning. They suggest that:
- Head Over to Your Google+
- Private, or Public
- Name Your Community
- Pick a Photo for Your Community
- Write a Tagline
- Write a Description
- Add Categories
- Invite People
- Start a Hangout
- Create an Event
Head Over to Your Google+
- On the homepage, click on “communities,” on the left side click on “create a community”.
- You can create a community for multiple purposes in a classroom. It could range from creating a Google+ Community so there is more open interaction with the parents, or for group projects. A community could also be used to display discussion online, because links, videos, pictures events and polls are all options that can be shared.
Private, or Public
- Decide if you want to invite members to see it (private), or whether it should be public.
- There are advantages to both public and private settings. The advantage to public is that the communities thoughts, ideas and opinions are shared throughout the world. As well as, anyone can comment, or add to the discussion. The disadvantage to public is that you are unable to monitor the comments and the individuals that are viewing your community. The advantage to Private is that you can pick and choose which people you are inviting into the community and who is engaging in discussion. Private also allows you to share stuff that you may only want a certain group of individuals to view. When having a private community the disadvantage is that there is not a wide range of diverse opinions on specific topics.
Name Your Community
- Provide a name for your community.
- The name of your community distinguishes how you want to be viewed, or perceived. It will also engage your readers and help them distinguish whether they want to participate in discussion, or not.
Pick a Photo for Your Community
- Click on “Pick a Photo” and download your photo you wish to represent your community.
- This photo is what people will look at very first. The photo you choose should have some representation of the Name for Your Community, as well as, relate to it.
Write a Tagline
- A tagline is some descriptive words that will tag your community. These are optional, but they are helpful.
- Make sure that the tagline exists of descriptors that exactly define your community. The tagline will help your community be related and reference when searched by individuals who are looking for a specific subject.
Write a Description
- Write a description about your community.
- The description should let others know what it is that you talk about in this community and invite them to share and join in the conversation. The descriptions allows them a taste of the community before engaging in the topics themselves. A description should answer some main questions including; What is the community about? What is the community for? Who is the audience? etc…
- Now start adding your categories. After you are finished with your editing click on “done”. You are always able to re-edit your community features at any time you want by clicking on the action menu and selecting “edit”.
- What do you want people to be able to add, or view on your community? For instance discussions, questions/answers, lesson plans, etc…
- Select people that you wish to be apart of your community.
- When you are completing this step make sure you chose people who will create. or add onto the discussion you wish to happen. Ask the questions will they be appropriate? Are they going to be mature? Will they engage in conversation?
Start a Hangout
- You can feature video hangouts with the people that you have on your community.
Create an Event
- Create an event to share with others by clicking on ” create event ” button. Provide the title of your event, the date, location , and details of your event.
- You can also then extend your invitation to your friends either through Google Plus, or by sending them emails.
- Your event can also be hosted on Google Hangouts.
- Use the buttons to share links, photos, videos, etc…
- When completing this, make sure that you are keeping it related to your community topic.
With using the resource I have provided to create your Google+ Community you should be able to use it to the fullest capacity it is capable of. Some excellent teacher tips on the use of Google+ in Education can be found here.